Friday, November 6, 2015

Day 1: Five problems with social media

1.  One of my biggest problems with social media is that kids these days are completely addicted. They can't seem to go five minutes without being on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, and any other social media site that I don't know of. Working at a middle/high school, I see students on there phones all day. They are more worried about seeing what everyone else is doing and not what is going on in their classes or in the hallways between classes. I have been hit, run over, pushed, etc while trying to get from classroom to classroom and when I look at the students, they are on their phones either taking pictures to post or checking their Facebook pages. Do I have Facebook? Yes. Do I check it often? Yes. Do I have to be on it every second? No. Teens these days think that they cannot survive without it. We all lived without it and survived.

2. Another problem I have is the glorification of celebrities. They seem to be the main focus everywhere. I can't even seem to go on my own Facebook page without there being some news story about some famous person. I personally use my Facebook to be able to keep up with my family and friends, not to hear about the newest celebrity gossip. I don't care that some Kardashian had some new surgery or marriage problem. I don't care that so-and-so broke up. Oh look, another celebrity is hooking up with another one. It's frustrating!

3. Something else that has been happening quite a bit lately is videos and pictures going viral of things that don't need to be seen by the world. This isn't just something being done by just any certain people, it's being done by everyone. There are videos being posted of people attacking/beating other people. There are pictures of people bloodied and beaten. There are videos/pictures of people making fun of others and just being bullies. One video that has really bothered me lately is where a SRO was fired because a video of him removing a student forcefully from the classroom was leaked. However, it was neglected by everyone to show the part of the video where the student had struck the officer. We are only seeing what people what us to see, not the whole picture/story.

4. It is so much easier for bullies to get what they want and to do what they do. In settings like schools, malls, churches, parks, etc there are ways to see what bullies are doing. On social media it is easier for them to get away with it. They are able to attack people in all aspects with most of the time no one knowing about it.

5. People find it easier to spread their agendas around. With everything going around like "Black Lives Matter" it makes it so much easier for them to spread the message. With the ability to post something in a matter of seconds, we know what's going on around the world and our country as soon as it happens. With the rioting and looting that happened. Criminals acting out. But it is all one sided. You always see when a black person is attacked or killed by a white cop, but what about the other side. There are cases where it is the complete opposite, but we don't see it. That is a double standard that doesn't get shown because if it was shown, then agendas wouldn't move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment